Create your own fields to store custom data for your people. You can organize your fields using section headings or even create custom tabs. You can also edit some of the built-in fields the app provides.
From the main People tab, click gear icon and then choose Customize Fields. Only users with Manager permissions can Customize Fields, though all Admins can view all fields, and Editors and Managers can enter information for people using those custom fields.
Editing Built-In Fields
You can customize the available options for membership status, marital status, inactive reasons, and name suffixes and prefixes . To do so:
- Make sure you are on the Personal Tab
- See this lesson on editing schools
- Click the Pencil next to any built-in field to edit its options. Here is where you can set up your custom membership statuses, marital statuses, membership inactive reasons, and name suffix and prefixes.
Edit field options
- Use the drag handles to drag and reorder the options. Reordering is not dangerous, as it won't change existing options for people.
- Edit any existing text
- Click the delete button to the right of any item to delete it. It will be deleted from any people who already have this option selected.
- Add new options by typing them and hitting enter (or the checkbox to the right)
- Click cancel or Save
Adding Custom Tabs
In order to add Custom Fields, you must create at least one Custom Tab first. Any tab you create is accessible to all PCO People Administrators.
Click the 'add tab' button.
Name your tab
Type in a name for your tab and hit enter.
Your Tab is created
- Click New Field to add a new field.
- If you have more than one tab, you can reorder them by dragging the handles.
- The Visible To section allows you to limit who can see this tab.
- Click Delete this Tab to remove it. You cannot remove tabs that contain fields.
Tab Visibility and Private Tabs
The Visible To section lets you share a tab with groups of users based on their permission levels in People, or with individual people. By default, tabs are shared with all viewers and above, which are all the users who can access People. It is important to note that Managers can change the sharing permissions for any tab, including tabs that are not shared with them.
- Select Share with... to add a person or a group to share this tab with
- Click the delete button to remove a person or group's access to the tab.
Adding Custom Fields
Click the New Field button
Enter Field Options
- Give your field a name
- Choose a Field Type
- Text - Use to store a single line of text or less
- Paragraph - Use to store more text, including enters
- Date - Use to enter a date
- File - Use to store any type of file, up to 10 MB.
- Yes/No - User must choose either yes or no (or leave it unanswered)
- Dropdown - Use to offer a multiple choice dropdown box where only one option can be chosen
- Checkboxes - Use to offer many options and allow selecting multiple options
- Section Header - Used for visual organization of other fields only, does not allow user entry
- Click the pencil to edit a field's options
- Click the trash can to delete the field
- Use the handle to drag and reorder for dropdown and checkbox fields
- Add options for dropdown and checkbox fields
- Delete individual options for dropdown and checkbox fields
- Add new options to dropdown and checkbox fields and hit enter to submit them
- Drag entire fields to other tabs to move them
Filling Out Custom Fields
Anyone with Editor permissions or higher can edit Answers.
From a person's page, make sure you are on a Custom Tab on the left, then click Edit Answers in the top right.
Edit your answers and click save.
The screenshot has examples of:
- Text field
- Dropdown (multiple choice, one option selected)
- Section Heading